Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Beginning of a New Year




We know as Mississippians that when the temperatures rise higher than you ever thought they could, it is time for school to start. I don't know why it has to be like that! I do know that as far as Ella and I are concerned, it means that we are having to think of fun things to do inside.

The beginning of a new school year is always so exciting! New students, new supplies, new lessons, new ideas. When I was teaching, I would always set goals for myself for the upcoming school year. I think it is equally important for me to set goals for myself while I am staying home to take care of my family and my house!

One of my immediate goals is to work with Ella on her alphabet. I know I am more than just a little partial, but I really do think she is very smart! She is always surprising me with some of the great, big words that come out of her mouth. She also remembers everything and talks about things that have happened forever ago! All that being said, for some unknown reason to me, she completely shuts down when I try to get her to recognize letters. She can recognize every Chick-fil-A and every McDonalds sign we ever pass, but when it comes to the letter A, forget it.

So, today we started at the beginning, once again. We worked on tracing the letter A with Play-Doh, we colored the letter A, we talked about words that start with the A sound. We did this for a good 30 mins. To wrap it all up, I pointed to the big A and asked her what letter it was. "It's a T!!" she says. Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment